Author: Brent
•1:24 PM
Ethan had his last T-Ball game of the season on 15 November, and the team went to DoubleDave's afterward to celebrate. That pizza was out of the question, of course, and Ethan was quite a good boy, enjoying his buckwheat pancakes with peanut butter. Meredith had the same food, and I ate loads of pizza. For the evening, we wanted to make pizza that we could enjoy as a family. What are the ingredients? Read on...

Pizza Dough

How easy is it to make pizza dough without flour, yeast, eggs, or milk? I know what you're thinking... that seems impossible! We tried, on Barb's suggestion, to use a mix based on tapioca flour, tapioca starch, and baking powder: Chebe All-Purpose Mix. The recipe calls for eggs, so we had to substitute. Barb recommended using oil and water. I found another substitution: use flax seeds So we tried both. The flax seed method worked better, but I found both to be gummy.

What can we do next time? I'm guessing that we needed more of some kind of starch to feed the baking powder so that it rises. Maybe we'll add buckwheat flour to it. This tapioca based bread made me think more of a very thick pudding than a pizza crust.

Tomato Sauce

Ethan is allergic to tomatoes, so we tried to make pesto. I found this Easy Vegan Pesto recipe. Meredith is allergic to yeast, so no Nutritional Yeast. Meredith and Ethan are allergic to garlic, so we tried asafoteda, which can substitute. Oh, and I didn't have pine nuts, so we used almonds.

I blended the recipe together, and what did I have? Weird funky almond butter with a hint of basil. Yuck. We spread it on some of the pizza and threw the rest away. If we try again, we'll use pine nuts, and less of them.

Cheese

Did you know that they make cheese out of rice? Galaxy Foods makes this stuff called Rice Shreds. It wasn't bad at all. Too bad it did have some milk proteins in it, so Meredith was feeling it. Anyway, we piled this stuff on, and it was a welcome success.

Sausage

Meredith and Ethan are allergic to garlic. It's difficult to find sausage without garlic, but Whole Foods did have some Chipotle Chicken sausage. Not bad!

Onions and Bell Peppers

This was the only easy part of the recipe. They worked out well!

Conclusion

We had limited success. I am not used to weird substitutions, so my criticism of my own creation here was not as positive as how Meredith and Ethan felt about it. I know that Meredith can't do something as elaborate as this on a regular basis, but that won't stop me from trying.
This entry was posted on 1:24 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: