Author: Brent
•9:48 AM
After riding my bike to and from work, I got back to the car. I got the alternator disconnected using some creative work. I couldn't help but remember the time I opened up a hard drive for the first time when I cracked open the valve cover. It was something new and shiny, like opening up a chest of gold. The timing belt was easy to replace, as was the water pump.

I mentioned TDC (Top Dead Center) yesterday. This is a reference point for making sure that the crankshaft (which spins as the pistons spin) and the camshaft (which spins to actuate the valves) are in synchronization. The timing belt must be installed in such a way that TDC is maintained. This provides for good timing and prevents the valves from hitting the pistons. I was very anal to make sure that the crankshaft and camshaft were still in TDC at all times.

The timing belt covers proved to be the hardest thing for the day. What a pain to remove and reinstall! The part of the lower cover that engages the bottom three bolts were broken off, and we tried to glue them back in place. I doubt they held. Reinstalling the covers was an exercise in frustration. The gasket seal wouldn't stay in place, and I couldn't exactly see what I was doing. The engine mount bracket is integrated into the covers, and it took four tries to get the cover on right. At one point I dropped a bolt into the covers and had to start almost all the way over.

It was about 10 PM when I got the covers back in place. I figured that was a good stopping point. I just need to reinstall the crank pulley, valve cover, alternator, power steering pump, and accessory belts. I also need to refill oil and coolant. That's probably 2-3 hours of work.

Total time today: around 3.5 hours.

-Brent
|
This entry was posted on 9:48 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: